FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So confused- which Russian visa do I need?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:01 pm
Daichovo

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
So confused- which Russian visa do I need?

Going to Russia next year. I will do a sort of crazy path via boat to Sakhalin, and then onto mainland Siberia, where I will flit around before entering Mongolia. Will have to cross back through to get from Mongolia to Kazakhstan (they don't have a border with each other).

I have a slew of Central Asian visas to get but Russian seems "easiest" (which is scary) so I will start with this one. There aren't any consulates in my city so I wanted to get started soon when I visit NYC this month.

I know I need 3 yr, multiple entry- but do I get tourist or business? I've heard business visa is not necessarily from a business, you can get a LOI for it. It sounds like tourist visa you have to have confirmed stuff for the whole tour? I won't be on a tour. I will be able to get tourist LOI from hostel I will stay at and it looks like business ones are easily available through visa companies, etc.

Also I know I will be going to areas (port of entry- Sakhalin- for one) that I need some permits for? Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited by Daichovo; Dec 12, 2014 at 6:22 pm