FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Informative" button options for reader feedback
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:29 pm
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bdschobel

As others have mentioned, we already have a "report bad post" button.

That's good enough for me.

Bruce

Originally Posted by goalie

Agreed ^ and let's say for whatever reason, a member doesn't want to have their posts liked or "helpfulled" - do they have an option/choice to turn this feature off?

I also think that this will be come more of a "status thing" and simply put, what's the difference between a member posting something like "thank you, this was just what I was looking for" vs clicking a like/helpful button?

Personally, if it was me, I'd like to see someone post a thank you than see how many likes/helpfuls I rec'd

Agree, folks interested in such things, can link all their pals to a Facebook account and like each other all they wish then and share photos of their pets and latest hairdos, and what they had for dinner last night.

We already have a "Friends" thingy in each FT profile, that I turned off on Day #1 that it was announced many years back. Again those who want FT to be Mini Facebook for some odd reason, can use that function if they wish. It seems to me few use that anyway, so that is a relevant pointer to this discussion.

A reminder to those not here as long as some of us old guard, this "Like" idea was tried before, and was an abject failure here on FT.

Some VERY senior members then, (and some of who still are now in VERY senior roles) abused the system in a concerted and malicious and calculated manner, and Randy needed to bang a lot of heads, issue all sorts of threats to them to play nice, wasted a lot of his time doing so, and pulled the plug on the entire "Reputation" mess.

The present system has worked perfectly well for 16 years, and like many other posters above, cannot see ANY valid reason to change.

One reason FT stays strong and relevant is that it has avoided many faddy things such as this. @:-)

Even user Avatars, found on near all Bulletin Boards, are not deemed necessary by members and TB, and a widened "Titles" selection was voted down only this year by TB, so this idea certainly should join that.

Flyertalk always was and is about travel and points, and is not a social media sideshow.

Glen

Last edited by ozstamps; Dec 10, 2014 at 7:07 pm