FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:37 pm
ballashotcaller

So I already know what the response is going to be, however due to circumstances out of my control I have already booked my flight tickets.
I'll be doing the 3 islands in 8 days trip..
Will be leaving in February
Day 1 we get in at 9pm. Will be picking up a rental car and making a quick stop at Wal mart for some essentials
Day 2 and 3 will be full days in Oahu. Day 2 will be waking up real early to go snorkelling in Hanauma bay. maybe around 7am. Will probably spend 4-5 hours there. From there we plan to grab lunch and drive up to the North Shore.
Day 3 will be waking up real early again to hike up Diamond head. come back, grab a quick lunch, and take surfing lessons at waikiki beach. After surfing we are open for ideas to spend the rest of the day
Day 4 we have an 8am flight to Hilo. Arriving at Hilo , pick up rental car and we'll make a quick stop at the store and spend the rest of the day at VNP. Will be staying until dark to hopefully see some glowing. Will stay overnight in Hilo.
Day 5 waking up real early to make the drive to Kona. Will possibly stop by Akaka falls on the way. Planning to arrive in Kona right before lunch. Any ideas on what to do in Kona? Thinking about spending the afternoon snorkelling and possibly doing a manta ray tour later in the evening. Staying overnight in Kona.
Day 6- waking up early and catch 9am flight to Maui. Pick up rental car and look for a whale watching tour. Can these be booked the same day or need to book in advanced? not sure what else to do for the rest of the day. Will be staying near the airport.
Day 7 - Wake up real early and do the drive to Hana. Planning to leave around 6-7am. Will likely make a few stops on the way, then head back later in the evening. At what time should we target to reach Hana and be on the way back to safely drive? Just want to allocate the time correctly between starting point and Hana.
Day 8 - wake up real real early to head to Haleakala to see the sunrise. on way back will check out of hotel and rest for the rest of the day. We have an 1130pm flight back home, so we have some time to suck in the last moments before heading home.