FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:14 pm
AllieKat

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Sorry for the simple-simon question, but if you use the PIN on a chip & signature card -- i.e., the on-line "cash advance" PIN -- does the transaction flow through as a cash advance or just as a plain ordinary purchase? I've never tried this and I'd hate to have to convince some CSR that, no, it wasn't really a cash advance.

I'd really appreciate the info.

And, yes, my pure chip & signature Merrill Visa really did work at one of the remote CDG RER kiosks last year. Maybe a glitch?

There's a funny coda to all this, too. Last year we ended up not using our Paris-CDG tickets because a smog emergency had made all metro/RER trips free. Kind of a Shanghai-meets-Paris moment. This was wholly outside my experience, but the happy result is that on our next trip we won't have to use any CDG kiosks at all. So no kiosk roulette.
This is based on the transaction coding not on whether A PIN was used. Now, some chip and sign cards do allow online PIN as a backup method (including all Mastercards since Mastercard requires it) while other cards would theoretically never ask for it with a chip purchase though they may with the magnetic stripe.