FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Infant Restraints in Premium Cabin
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:13 pm
6rugrats

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Is there a link
Go to congressional records
Ask a pediatric surgeon in Atlanta, Chicago, la, ny
Ask flight attendants
I testified to the five I have seen - not to what others have seen
I am not going to wade through the entire Congressional Record, but here's one hearing I found regarding requiring seats for children under the age of two:
http://commdocs.house.gov/committees...pw104-63_0.htm

If you don't want to wade through all of it, it discusses a total of SIX children who weren't in car seats and who were injured/killed.

One on DL 1288, one on UA 232 in 1989 in Sioux City (and this child died from smoke inhalation which has nothing to do with being a lap child). 111 people died in this crash, and one would assume these people were wearing seat belts - three other lap children survived.

Some of the testimony is a little confusing, it states one child was injured on US in 1994, but I am not sure what crash they are referring to. I find a crash listed for US 427, where everyone on board was killed, so seat belts were obviously not an issue. I also find US 1016 where there were 37 deaths and 15 passenger injuries. Again, assume all passengers were wearing seat belts.

Record mentions two injuries on an AA flight MIA-SFO (I can't find anything about this incident, and one on an AA flight to San Juan (can't find the flight number or the date).

I think children should be in child seats, but you are going to have to provide some empirical data to be taken seriously. Doubt most pediatric surgeons have ever dealt with a child injured in airline turbulence.

I had to look up the flight numbers for almost all of them. One would think that at a Congressional Hearing, people could add the flight numbers.