FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA: Are They Cheating Us Out of Miles With More Stops and Fewer Layovers?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:39 am
arollins

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by 5jnpLzuE
I have been trying to set up a few mileage runs with United, and I have discovered what could be an unfortunate trend. Every time I think I have something that will give me decent miles, I find that what should be a connection with a layover is actually only a "stop" (of at least an hour) that involves an aircraft change.

This shows up very well in an example of a trip from BWI to SEA. What could have been a trip of 3 segments and 3137 miles (BWI-DEN-SFO-SEA) becomes a trip of 2 segments and 2515 miles (BWI-DEN-SEA). The "stop" in SFO doesn't count. This problem has appeared in at least one trip I took earlier this year. I am currently trying to schedule a few trips for Jan & Feb 2015 and I cannot seem to avoid this issue. Are these recent experiences just coincidences, or is United playing even more games to reduce the number of miles we can accumulate?

Has anyone else noticed this?
Is this the same flight # all the way? If so then you are only being given credit as if it where a direct flight.