FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Flight to Anchorage using multi-city option
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:41 am
swag
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by vandykes44
I have been looking to try to book flights to Alaska in August using miles. When I plug in GRR (or DTW, ORD) to ANC for the dates I need, there is no availability. I did check out how the available award seats on other dates are constructed. Many fly GRR - DFW - SEA - ANC. They price at either 12.50 for saver or 25,000 for business saver.

I can construct an award ticket using the multi-city option for the dates I want GRR - DFW - SEA - ANC for either saver or business saver awards, but the ticket prices out at 2-3 times more award miles. Why would it do that? If I call an agent, will they be able to ticket the award at the lesser price?

Thanks for your help. This just doesn't make sense to me. I don't think I'm trying to break any rules.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you have saver availability by segment (T for coach, U for business) but not for the itinerary origin-xxx-destination, you may have:

1. Connection times too long (and so a stopover, not a connection)

2. An invalid routing origin to destination

3. An example of married segment availability applied to awards

I believe one can dismiss #2 on the basis of this allowable routing from ExpertFlyer for an AA fare GRR-ANC.

MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. GRR-DFW/CHI-PHX/LAX-PHX/LAX-ANC
2. GRR-DFW/CHI-PHX/LAX-SEA/PDX-ANC
#1 could also be too short a connection. But if the exact same flights are available as a single award on other days, that would indicate that the problem is not #1 or #2.

And I thought married segments resulted in A-B being unavailable when A-B-C was available, not preventing an otherwise valid routing when the segments were available individually?