FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Close the Information desk forum
View Single Post
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:07 am
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
Who says we're encouraging such behavior? The forum doesn't make these posts, they've been around as long as I've been on Flyertalk (so 11 years before the forum if I can still do math). Closing the forum won't make these posts go away, they'll just end up back in Miles Buzz! or Travel Buzz! Or Community or any number of other forums.
This is an important point to keep in mind. The same thing happens in other online forums (on non-FFP/travel subjects) that I belong to.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Well, it was posted on Dec 2. Today is the 4th and it's still there. It was from a newbie poster with only 2 posts in that thread. It's not the first time someone has opened an account to ask for people to donate for a vacation. At a minimum, those posts had been locked with a message that solicitation isn't allowed, or perhaps even deleted.

It's still there.
That sounds like a potential moderation issue or decision (which of course I will refrain from "discussing"), not necessarily a defect in the forum.

Originally Posted by lin821
Some advice us unhappy campers to not visit or simply ignore ID Forum. Such advice might have a merit if the existing forum carried a clear-cut boundary so everyone can choose to explore topics of their interests. But the status quote of ID Forum is so oddly cluttered that valuable cross-program threads have to call it home. It's hard to turn a blind eye for those of us want to learn a thing or 2 in cross-program challenges.
But even within a forum one is generally interested in, not every thread is of interest, and some threads one might wish to totally ignore. How are ID threads any different? The "junk" threads are usually pretty easy to distinguish from genuine questions just from the title or at worst a quick click on the OP. I haven't found it to be difficult to distinguishe the general types of threads, and I read and post on ID with some regularity.