FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ORD to PVG, Help me choose the best airline, i have no status.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:45 am
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FLLDL
good to know. I had one too many flights with the older continuous loop IFE system which was really horribly out of date.
Just to update this thread, I flew AA289 today in Y, and the personal entertainment was, in fact, of the looping variety. The bigger problem is that AA's content is pretty dreadful (e.g only the cheapest --to them-- movies you could fathom) no matter how it is plated.

That having been said, everything else about my flight was pretty good:

-better food than you get on Asian carriers in Y (think passable TV dinner)
-friendly cabin staff
-seat mate devised sleeping plan that permitted each of us to occupy 4 of the 5 seats for 3-hour intervals
*you can't plan on this during busy times, but when it happens, economy is pretty tolerable
-minimal PA announcements
-14:04 flying time (Tokyo would require at least 13 hours during these winter months, and I'd still have to endure a second flight)
-had a chance to see the north pole and ULN from the air
-booze was always on offer (not a big deal for me, but this is not the case on UA)
-I initially selected one of green seats on seatguru, but switched to a normal seat in order to avail of 5-abreast; legroom was decent

In closing, while I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for the experience, AA exceeded my expectations in both directions.