FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bus travel in Mexico, the definitive thread.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:55 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gotofly
Hello JDiver
Sorry to bother you again but due to recent violence and demonstrations in Mexico City I am little worried about my travel there in December 25th
Should I still travel to Mexico is it safe.
I am planning to take a bus from Mexico City to acapulco and from acapulco to Ixtapa and flight back from Ixtapa to Mexico City
Should I stay in Mexico City or just use as hub to transfer.
Also is the bus and this cities are safe?
Please help.
The busses and tourist venues you mention are still safe. Acapulco, it's recommended for visitors to remain on the coastal strip and not venture inland many blocks, and avoid areas like the red light district; connecting at the bus station, as it appears you wish to do, shouldn't be any problem at all (other than it will be crowded and very busy, with full busses, at that time of year).

Mexico City itself should be OK. If there are demonstrations the areas will be known - likely near the Zócalo, perhaps a part of Reforma Ave. or the roadway connecting to the airport - slowing things a bit because of traffic deviations. Avoid areas impacted, and public transport will detour them as well.

And IMO these are less likely to occur (not impossible, just less likely,) during the fiestas Navideñas / Christmas season. The 25th itself will probably be quiet in all ways.

Be sure you have your lodging secured / booked in Ixtapa. Things will be very crowded in Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo and you don't want to find yourself with no place to sleep.

¡Buen viaje!