FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:40 am
bryanoneil

Programs: A3*G, BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, CC Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Is this total time exceptional, or is this the norm? If the norm, I probably just won't bother for my barely-compliant transfer time. This would give me only a couple hours in the room before I'd need to start back.
3.5 hours is definitely not the norm. Personally, I haven't had to wait *that* long ever. But with that said, it's also never been super-quick. Unless you get really lucky and there's no queue + you get to the hotel desk right before they finish a batch then it will still take at least 15 minutes for them to call out the names and gather everybody together, then anywhere between 10 minutes to half an hour to get you to the hotel (some of their hotels are rather far from the airport, which is especially annoying during rush hours), and then another 10-30 minutes at the reception.

Your shuttle back is typically quite early. It looks like they want you to be at the airport at least 2.5 hours before your scheduled departure but this can easily be longer as the shuttles only run on full hours.

So all in all - definitely not worth it unless you have a 10+ hour connection.