FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:18 pm
Points Scrounger
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
Maybe we shouldn't correct news media when they post something like the NYTimes article. The more people who think that chip == PIN, the more people who will be very unhappy with their banks when October rolls around.
Surveys have said that a significant number of consumers KNOW sig is a joke, and are determined to use cash if it continues.

I think people will notice. If I had to bet on an outcome, I'd go with a backtracking (CYA) statement like: "We wanted to get the
chip-insertion-thing taken care of first, so Chip + Sig is transitional. New and replacement cards will (soon) be PIN primary." We'll see a couple of years of PIN bypass (hit the enter button again) just as there was elsewhere. I would say by 2018 we'll see Chip + PIN as (nearly) universal here.

I have one of the earliest chip cards (Citibank Visa) that was sent without my asking for a chip; it expires Oct 2016, and I wouldn't die of shock if the replacement is PIN primary.