FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:41 am
geirfugl
Suspended

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
My experience last sunday.
This the queue at the hotel desk.

Few minutes later it arrived nearly at the terminal doors.

Basically boarding passes are hoarded, does not matter who arrives first at the desk, presumably until a X number is reached.

Afterwards passengers are requested to wait, standing besides Starbucks. There are no seats at all in that part of the airport.

After 25 minutes a TK representative showed up, with the stack of BPs, shouting pax names one by one, and eventually asking everybody to follow him at the bus pick-up bay.

Our group consisted of circa 70 people, splitted up in a coach and 2 vans.
5 minutes later we all were at Radisson Blu Conference & Airport, one of the best options in the IST area.

At the hotel, all the guests forms were handed to the desk clerks, who invited the party to seat and wait for our name to be called.
It goes without saying that with just two employees processing all of us it took forever.
Now luckily I wasn't coming from a long haul, but few folks literally have fallen asleep on the reception's sofas.
I was informed that no dinner and breakfast was included in the deal.
No problem, the surrounding area of Radisson bursts of eateries, shops, vendors etc.

Overall time from the incoming IST flight to room key, 3 hours and 10 minutes (immigration via fast track included).

Had my stopover been the minimum legal TK provides, the experience would have been worthless.

Don't get me wrong, TK provides a generous service, which is nothing than commendable. They even outshined EK, whose terms to complimentary hotel room have been restricted over time.
What it takes IMHO is just mere organization. This area perfectly reflects the congestion of IST, but it's something could be improved almost overnight, with limited resources, focusing on spaces and staffing, now inadequate.

Found myself thinking that next time I'd rather pay €50 for a (less fancy) hotel that provides a pick-up service, just for the relief of an easy walk out experience.
Sorry,there are certainly 50 euro hotels near IST,Yenibosna hotels are probably closest,but they do not provide a pick up service,however a cab is abouth 4-5 euro and some are even reachable by 2 metro stops.Theese are basic hotels,but servicable for a night. You could use the Courtyard by Marriot,it would generally,but not always be a bit more,they do have a shuttle,and its much nicer than the independent cheapies that can be somewhat weird in decoration and so on!!

Last edited by geirfugl; Dec 3, 2014 at 12:49 am