FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:47 pm
JEFFJAGUAR

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
In the US, you generally don't need to call for attention, the machine beeps a handheld and it calls them over. I've manned self checkouts at Walmart before.

(Also beeped my handheld if a customer tried to swipe an EMV enabled card, when they enforced it correctly).

True enough but as a practice not needed for most cc (or debit( transactions. Perhaps there is a threshold amount which requires a human to come over and verify a signature but if there is, I have never reached it. In the "complaint" I have had with UK self service in the past is that most don't take mag strip cards at all and will not complete a chip and signature transaction without human intervention. We can argue how much value human intervention and checking signatures make for more security but really, it shouldn't be necessary for small purchases. I am sure the same studies have been done in the UK regarding just how much fraud with small purchases is prevented by signature checking and the generation of paper receipts (do I hear green here) and there is absolutely no reason to believe the situation in the UK is all that different than in the USA.