FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Tampa (Clearwater Beach) [Master Thread]
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:39 pm
jb3t

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
I am staying here Easter week for 5 nights on a points stay. There will be five us, so getting the roll away bed for $10. Our kids are 16, 14 and 6, so space will be tight. Questions:

-As a Gold, what are the chances of an upgrade to the larger suite? Strategy? Can I book it with more points (no option for that on SPG)?
-Basically same question for club level...will I be able to use more points for the club level? Continental breakfast each day would be huge savings for the five of us

Thanks!
I've been here MANY times and know the hotel well. Here's the deal...

- if when you're going down aligns with everyone's school vacation week, upgrades will be tough. This hotel sells out during prime weeks. If you're going down on an off week, I think an upgrade will still be thought at Gold. But you never know. Not sure about the "use more points" thing.

- the suites are essentially the size of two rooms, minus the wall. Good sized. Suites are only on the top floor and there's only about a dozen of them.

- all other rooms appear to be the same size. Average sized. 5 will be a little cramped. Club floor rooms are not bigger.

- if you get club lounge access, their lounge is one of the better ones.

I like this hotel a lot but a if you're going down on a prime week and looking for space, you could take a look at the Cape Coral Westin (90 min south). While it's on the water, there's no beach but the rooms I have received are awesome.... Two bed room suites with full kitchen, etc. Good pools and activities but while you're on the water, it's not a beach. Have to drive a bit.

Last year I booked both hotels, saw how the bookings went, and then ended up in Cape Coral. The space was worth it.