FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Club Membership Renewal Strategy
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:04 pm
Biggie Fries

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Zanotti
Oh wait, now I see there is a 45K miles option as well. Maybe a profitable way to burn miles?

I guess its a 45K vs $350 argument.....
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
45k miles should net you much more than $350.
Gosh, yeah ... Plenty of folks are holding the US Barclays MC for just the 10K renewal at $89/year, or $0.0089 a bonus mile, and I daresay all of them would trade you $350 for 45K miles ($0.0078 a bonus mile).

Speaking of burning miles at 45K a clip, with the US Barclays MC, that's the price of a Low First Class RT. I'm flying three family members out West in F at that price (per RT ticket), and everyone is happy as a pig in ... US First Class.

It's not exactly the answer you are looking for, and I hate to shill for a credit card ... but in addition to the AA Citi card, as per above (which I don't have), I have gotten enough value out of the Am Ex Plat card that I rationalize keeping it by putting the annual $200 airline toward my US Club membership. If you don't have one, you could potentially get one now and get $200 toward the Club in 2014 and another $200 toward same in 2015. (A calendar year benefit.) I realize that the opportunity cost is not using that benefit towards AA gift cards, but ... whatever!

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Dec 2, 2014 at 6:06 pm Reason: reference to post just above for less incoherence (if not greater coherence)