FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:46 pm
JEFFJAGUAR

I have asked this before. Is there anybody out there who thinks signature verification provides one iota of extra security for a credit card purchase? Are the 16 year old clerks commonly employed throughout the world going to raise a fuss about a signature? Especially for small purchases? I know it is common practice in the UK, for example, to always go though the pretense of checking the signature but does anybody think that will keep fraud from occurring Of course, I must admit we are very cavalier about this in the USA. Just yesterday, I was in a supermarket and the customer in front of me bought over $300 worth of groceries; swiped het card, put it back in her wallet and nobody checked the signature (this particular supermarket like most here doesn't even bother with signatures for amounts under $50). But I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over it because as I've said once the emv issue is resolved here, the emphasis for credit card fraud will turn to online purchases just mark my words.