FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Paris, France
View Single Post
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:30 pm
MFLetou

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
So, I know there is no "wrong" choice in Paris, but there are clearly some choices that are "more right." I'm all twisted around trying to figure out what that is. I've read the last several years worth of posts on this thread.

Here's what it boils down to. We're doing a 10th anniversary 5 day trip in late January, thanks to a fantastic point redemption with US Airways. I'm a lowly Silver, so status is not a factor. I do have enough points to cover the visit (well, I'm a few thousand short but no big deal), but I'm not sure I really want to use them all, I'd prefer a combo with cash.

My observation is that the American chains are almost all at a premium over similar properties, even other chains like Accor. From the research I've done, the Marriott properties are almost all very nice, but may not be worth it when compared to some other hotels.

Our preference is generally to be in the "thick of it," at least for a first visit, which this is. (Point of reference--we like the TS Marquis, though maybe not every time!) Since it will cold, location seems especially important--we won't be taking leisurely strolls.

With that in mind, C-E and Ren Vendome would seem to be the best fit, right? Followed by Ren Arc?

I would most likely pay cash for some nights and use points for the others. From a point redemption perspective, the higher the rate, the better value, but since we're also paying cash, the inverse is true.

For my dates, C-E is about $475 a night, Vendome, Arc, Opera are about $375, and Troc is about $325 (USD).

My concern with C-E is summed up nicely by a TripAdvisor review posted today, in which the user said that they were given the worst room possible because they were on points. I'm not real excited about a room overlooking the lobby. I understand I'm probably not getting a C-E view, but...it would be nice to see...something. That said, I've got a friend that swears by this hotel and thinks is a real game changer for a first time visitor. I would probably pay cash for the first night or two in hopes that I would end up in a better room and they wouldn't make me move.

Vendome concerns me because the rooms are so small. Sure, we're not there to stay in the room, but 194 sq feet is pushing it. Style wise, we're probably not as fond of older, boutique hotels (which I know many love). I know there are some bigger rooms, but at the lowest rate, silver status and an award...seems like it wouldn't be too likely.

The location of Arc worries me a little. Its obviously not too far from Metro and the Arc, but it seems like a more residential kind of street and not quite in the middle of the action. Is that accurate? The hotel itself looks very appealing.

I know the least about Opera--location seems good, but sounds like room quality probably is a step down. Troc seems too far out of the way for what we want.

Do any of you with experience at these properties have any thoughts? What is the likelihood of rates coming down before the end of Jan? Many of the best rates now are non-refundable and that scares me.

After all this, going with another hotel entirely is possible, but I'd like to at least fully play out the Marriott options. Thanks in advance!