FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why I will NEVER Fly vanguard Again and Why You Should not Either
Old Oct 10, 2000, 1:35 pm
rmccamy

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
I've never flown Vanguard, but I'm glad they are around because they make all of my MCI travel just a little bit cheaper. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Vanguard isn't alone on the change fees for one-way tickets. I recently bought a United one-way (DEN-MCI) for mid-morning, then changed my mind and went to the airport for an afternoon flight. Had I gone *earlier* than my flight time, it would have been a free change, but because I went *after*, I had to pay the $75.

Two or three years ago, VNGD appeared to be turning the corner to reliability and profitability. They got listed on the Naz and were making about a few cents profit for a couple of quarters. High fuel costs have hurt them to be sure - and an enchanced LUV schedule at MCI doesn't help either. Rumor has it they are trying to dump the old gas-guzzling 737's to lease some new 717's. Not sure if they are financially healthy enough to pull it off...