FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What impact will the new ECML franchise have on BA to NCL and EDI
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:36 am
callum9999

Originally Posted by TyneTraveller
Not so sure that any revenue traffic will be affected on the NCL-LHR as I think it's two separate markets, although hard to predict.

On a personal note, I liked East Coast (best service we've had since BR) and their little reward scheme; it's come in handy on many an occasion. I'm guessing the northerly commuting VS crew will be delighted though......can't see there being as many red uniforms spotted on the shuttles anymore!!
Are you sure the British Rail days were really as rosy as you remember? A lot of people are so influenced by wanting the train system to be public that they have false memories of how great it used to be!

While I'm not overly familiar with the East Coast route, as a whole, punctuality increased, frequency increased, passenger numbers boomed, better and cleaner trains were run and, though it seems the opposite, passenger satisfaction has been consistently higher than it was with British Rail. There were also large fare increases, something people seem to think only happened after privatisation.