FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:00 am
joshwex90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by uds0
Yes, that is my understanding per my discussions with them. They were very careful to state that THEY do not charge any foreign transaction fee, BUT they do pass through any fees, including the 1% fee charged by VISA. Of course, they then reimburse ONLY the ATM cash withdrawal fee, if any (not the 1% ISA fee or balance inquiry or other fees). This is also consistent with my understanding that most banks and credit unions, for debit cards and most credit cards, pass through the 1% VISA fee and, because they can, many banks add their own 1-2% PURE PROFIT on top of that 1% VISA ISA fee pass-through, so that's why the magic number of 3% is so common. Any bank that charges you a 0% foreign transaction fee for VISA or MC card is eating that 1% ISA (International Service Assessment) fee charged by VISA/MC (MC may be slightly less).

I don't have the card so I can't verify, and I will double check tomorrow since I have been having lots of discussions with the main no fee banks and am only human (and over 60!) so I could possibly get the discussion results swapped.

I'll update this post with the results of tomorrow's chat with State Farm Bank.

We all need to remember that Foreign Transaction Fee has had at least several definitions. Some banks (like State Farm and even some credit unions) exclude the 1% ISA VISA fee from their use of that term. I vote for (and some banks define as) ANY amount charged above the "official" exchange rate is part of the FTF since that amount only occurs when there is a Foreign Transaction. Sadly, State Farm and some other banks also define "foreign" as anything non-State Farm, so non-State Farm ATMs in the US are defined as "foreign" ATMs - geeze!
This has not been my experience - neither with the withdrawals nor with the chats.

I've specifically asked if the Visa 1% fee is passed on and told no.
I have also used the card to withdraw internationally and was given the exact same rate as Charles Schwabb withdrawing from the same place at the same time.