FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:52 pm
uds0

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Originally Posted by powerlifter
I found out my bank M&T bank all of their credit cards are chip and pin. There is no annual fee with the cards, and no foreign transaction fee. They have about 3 or 4 cards to choose from. I called to find out if they were chip &pin chip & signature the rep assured they were chip & pin and you chose the pin. YMMV.
Most likely signature priority given the web site language and trend in US.

Also worth noting, if you are traveling and forget your pin, you are basically screwed (like with Sun Trust) since you can't set or reset your pin over the phone without knowing your current pin - and they ONLY mail your pin reminder, and ONLY to your account address on file.

What are they thinking?

Also note that the replacement chip card eliminates the PayWave feature and only the Signature card has no foreign transaction fee (and should not have 1% VISA ISA fee since other cards have 3% fee which typically includes 1% ISA fee?). Lots of fine print including balance or transaction requirement variety and free or subscription cost to get non-M&T ATM fees reimbursed.

Last edited by uds0; Nov 26, 2014 at 1:11 pm