FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:43 pm
AllieKat

Originally Posted by uds0
Thanks for your reasonable response.

Since the darn banks are forcing signature priority here in the US, I'm thinking that the only way to check the pin for validity is to use an ATM (which ALWAYS requires a pin), BUT ATM's typically have fees for accessing other bank's cards, as well as other bank may charge fee for access via other bank's ATM.

I'm looking for a simple way to detect that the pin has been validated via ATM without performing an ATM action that triggers these darn fees. I've been bitten by balance inquiry (what a crock!) and, for most cards, cash advance from ATM has huge fees, so I'm looking for other possible ATM interaction that will provide a unique message when a pin is correct vs incorrect without triggering those darn fees. I have access to BofA (chip and strip reader), US Bank, Wells Fargo, First Tech CU, Onpoint CU, Chase, and a few other bank ATMs locally, as well as 7-11 and Safeway in store ATMs.

Ideas?
ATMs are online and will tell you nothing. Without running custom code as mentioned above, you literally will not find a place in the US (and probably Canada) that will use the offline PIN of that card. There are only a handful of terminals in the world that will require it.