FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Mauritius Resort (formerly St. Regis) Mauritius [Master Thread]
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:44 pm
DC777Fan

Programs: DL Diamond
I forgot to add what I thought was a major downside... F&B.

Breakfast was good, but not everything popped and looked fresh--particularly coming from Grosvenor House which has an AMAZING breakfast. Almost every day by 9am, the entire juice bar was depleted of fresh fruit and pre-made (but fresh) juices. The other items on the buffet--especially the carb table looked picked over almost constantly. I've noticed at better breakfasts, they'll replace the entire plate of items rather than haphazardly combining the new and the old. Then, presumably in the back, they figure out which items are presentable to be returned to the buffet, and which items need to discarded.

Breakfast also was 100% identical day to day, which it shouldn't be at a resort where lots of guests are staying for extended periods of time.

Lunch and dinner are pretty expensive... even given the remote location and upmarket hotel brand. Not only that, but the food was pretty underwhelming and portions were generally very small. Also, the entire process was not very well coordinated. Example: we left on a Friday, and on Tuesday we decided we wanted to try Simply India. So we walked over and said "can we get in now to eat." As nobody was there at the time, they said yes, and by the way we're 25% off tonight.

Then we sit down only to find out that not only do we not get 25% off (that's only for half board guests), but the menu is a set menu with no substitutions--and my fiancee wasn't crazy about a couple courses.

They offered to make us a reservation the following night at the time of our choice, and we selected 8pm.

Come to find out the next day when discussing with our butler, Simply India is closed on Wednesday and Thursday. How did the people who work in the restaurant not know that? Had we known, we would've made a decision--eat the set menu we're not crazy about or miss out on eating at the supposedly best restaurant there. They made that decision for us when they told us to come back when they're closed.

This entire episode came right after another unfortunate service failure. Listed clearly on the brochure was 6:30pm on Tuesday: Champagne Sabering. Guess what wasn't happening when we arrived at 6:30pm? We asked the bartender about it and he looked like we were speaking Greek [we in fact weren't as I was speaking fluent French]. After 5-10 minutes discussing it amongst themselves, they called a manager and the sommelier came to speak to us. He said that despite the schedule, sabering was by reservation only (listed nowhere on the brochure). I told him that I was surprised, because as St. Regis enthusiasts, we've been elsewhere and if it's scheduled, it's always done as a demo (including a comp glass for all there), and it's one of the little things that endears us to the brand. He goes on a few minute speech discussing how it's not required of them, and that at this hotel it's by reservation only. If we want, we could do it the next day.

Eventually, he realized that we were disappointed and found a bottle for us to decapitate. But it was a long service failure before they corrected it and despite the correction, we left with a sour taste in our mouth about the entire thing. If it's on the schedule, it needs to happen.