FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No int'l. AA saaver or SWU availability 11+ days out – Being resolved? (Nov 2014)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:40 am
Alec84

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
No int'l. AA saaver or SWU availability 11+ days out – Being resolved? (Nov 2014)

I tried to find some discussion related to this topic, but didn't find anything. So, do Economy SAAver awards disappear for some days of the week. Last week I was looking at an award flight PTP-MIA in January. It was available at 17.500 miles. Since Friday night the price has remained at 37.000 miles. What is really ridiculous in my opinion is that the price for that particular flight (only operated on Saturdays until sumemr) is 37.000 miles or more for every single date as long as the calender shows, until next November. That was not the case last Thursday when I checked some dates.

It's been reported in hundreds of articles that the cheapest day to book flights is Tuesday. However, there doesn't seem much discussion about prices disappearing just to return again. Does anyone have any ideas on when the PTP-MIA flight will (at least for some dates) return to the 17.500 price? This same thing has happened before when I have tried to book award flights. Once earlier this year when I was checking out Europe-USA-Europe flights and a couple of years ago when ELP-MIA wasn't available on my preferred date, only to become available later.

It's Tuesday night soon in the US, so maybe the price will return then. I'll let you know. But would you say that prices (not only mileage prices) go up for the weekend and if they do, when do they tend to return to the normal price? Also it seems that long-haul flights are generally not affected by this (despite my example) and also not all shorter routes? Would you say that holiday destinations are affected by these, since it is assumed that people book their holidays during weekends?