FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Angry Travel Agent Blog: Flying used to be an occasion
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:31 pm
Angrytravelagent

The Angry Travel Agent Blog: Flying used to be an occasion

I am posting my first article of the Angry Travel Agent here for your entertainment.

Remember the days when flying used to be an occasion? Yeah believe it or not, people used to wear suits and ties when they flew (see "Airplane", or the gag in Family Guy„It's a Trap!)
Not today, let me tell you. Now you're lucky if they even pick you up at the airport, and everything is extra. No Kidding! There's one European airline that doesn't even bother picking you up at the jet bridge. No they make your stampede across the tarmac for the stairs. **MOO!!***. Now why would people bother running? There are no assigned seats on Ryanair. So it's first come first serve, but Ryanair has the solution. Speed boarding. Yes for a small fee, Ryanair will let you have the privilege of cutting in front of everyone else. Ohh. It begs the question. What if everyone else buys a speed boarding card? Do they have a * turbo boarding card *? Then they have to come out with the * I called shotgun* service. Of course Ryanair isn't the only one charging extra for the privilege of getting a seat. Most low cost carriers and a lot of traditional carriers such as British Airways charge extra for a seat request. Awesome!
Airlines used to provide refreshments. It wasn't 5 star, but at least you it was free. Nowadays, if you were a virgin before your flight, you aren't afterwards because you just got ....ed by X airline. Yeah that's right if you want a beer on any US flight it's 7 dollars! Ohh 7 dollars for a light beer. That must be some good ... beer. Can we get some organ music while they poor it for me? It must be nectar from heaven.
You've probably heard the rumor that Ryanair and some other airlines are going to start charging to use the bathrooms. That is a rumor (maybe), but what absolutely is true is that Ryanair special ordered Boeing 737 planes http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/17/tr...aving-schemes/ . Yeah that's right, Ryanair wants to have one toilet per aircraft. What if you gotta take a ....? **Well tough .... if you gotta take asshit**! Guess you better wear some adult diapers.
Of course all airlines are cutting their luggage allowance, and all US carriers charge for checked luggage on domestic flights. I mean god forbid you actually might need clothes. Of course some Low cost carriers are even weighing the hand luggage and even one airline *Spirit Air* , charges money for that. Now I get to pay for them to lose my luggage.
With the race to the bottom trend in air travel, with low cost carriers leading the way, we can easily imagine what the future of travel will be like. Let's have some fun and speculate as to what travel could look like.

Continue