FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Gift Card receipt - phishing scam?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:07 am
HometoYYZ

Programs: AC SEMM DL DM
Air Canada Gift Card receipt - phishing scam?

A couple of times in the last two weeks, I've received a notfication from [email protected] with a new gift card receipt, despite my not having ordered one, and not being aware of anyone having dropped a $200 gift card on my behalf. Each has a different (and legitimate looking) gift card number and PIN combination.

My first assumption is that it's phishing scam, but I can't figure out the payoff... the contained links and phone numbers appear to be legit, there's no "log in here to claim your card" link that appear to be out to steal my credentials. It was sent to the e-mail address that Air Canada has on file for me... which is not widely shared and does not receive much traffic, spam or otherwise.

The only strong clue that it's not legit are that the subject line changes -- "Air Canada Gift Card receipt" on one, and "Air Canada Gift Card Receipt" (note capitalization) on the other.

Well, that and I have no idea why I'd be receiving $200 gift cards out of the blue. I guess that's a pretty strong tipoff as well.

Anyone else getting unexpected (and potentially illegitimate) gift cards in the last little while? I received one on the 13th, and one today.