FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Austria, Switzerland & Warsaw - Flying in J (OS, LX & LO 787) Riding Trains & Hiking!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:14 pm
FindAWay

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
LOT Polish Airlines Boeing 787-800 Dreamline Business Class from WAW to ORD

LOT Polish Airlines Boeing 787-800 Dreamliner Business Class from WAW to ORD

Map Below: LOT Polish Airlines Business Class from WAW to ORD

FLIGHT: WAW-ORD
DATE: Tuesday, September 9, 2014
CARRIER: LOT Polish Airlines (LO)
FLIGHT NUMBER: 3
AIRCRAFT: Boeing 787-800
CABIN: International Business Class (two class aircraft)
SEATS: 2A, 2B
DEPARTURE GATE: 23/24
DEPARTURE - SCHEDULED: 4:30pm // ACTUAL: 5:03pm
ARRIVAL - SCHEDULED: 7:05pm // ACTUAL: 7:34pm
DURATION: 9 hours 31 minutes
MILES FLOWN: 5,050 miles

After leaving the Bolero Executive Lounge, we found the gate seating area enclosed with an agent checking tickets as people entered. There was actually a roped-off area designated for business class passengers to which we were directed. The seats were the same; so, perhaps it was to ensure seats for business class passengers in the event of overcrowding. But, the gate area never filled, so, it didn’t matter to us.

A short delay was announced, so, we continued to wait. The plane was a little obscured from our seats, so, I walked around to get a better look. It sure did look sleek in the light of the late-afternoon Warsaw sun.

Once boarding was called, we were among the first to board and quickly found our way down the jetway (which split off to provide a separate entrance to the plane for business class passengers). We were welcomed aboard by the friendly business class attendants. And found our way to our seats. The seats were very large and the cabin fairly open. A bottle of water, set of headphones, pillow and blanket, and our amenity kits awaited us at our seats. We enjoyed our pre-departure beverages and snack. Each seat was wide and offered a fair amount of space for non-luggage storage. I agree with others that the physical seats did look more worn than expected considering how new they are. Still, I found the cabin and seats attractive. The captain announced the delay would be a bit longer because bags were still being loaded (apparently not mine though).

The IFE selection was a bit underwhelming but adequate (including recent releases) for one long-haul flight. The tray table is well-sized and the seat controls are easy to understand and use. The seats did have individually controlled air vents, which was nice (and becoming rarer in premium cabins). The window controls (not physical shades) were the touch-button controls that electronically dim the window. They do not react instantly, which was unfortunate when we flew over Greenland and everyone wanted to “open the window shade” to get a better look because it took, what felt like, a minute for the windows to undim fully.

There were only 2 passengers in the business class cabin beside Mrs. FindAWay and me. With 14 of the 18 business class seats empty, the service was very attentive! The food was nothing great, but, it wasn’t bad either. The drink selection was pretty good (including vodka and mead).

I spent most of the flight working on my computer and watching recent movie releases. I reclined for comfort but not sleep (however, I did fully recline the seat for a photo opportunity).

We arrived approximately 30 minutes late and Mrs. FindAWay and I were the first to arrive at baggage claim (thanks to being in business class and having Global Entry). We watched the carousel begin to move and bags come out and Mrs. FindAWay’s was one of the first ten bags. We continued to watch. Every. Single. Other. Bag. None of them were mine. Our bags were checked at the same time and are actually identical in make and size (only different in color). In all, we waited at the baggage carousel for over an hour (the bags took a bit to start coming out and then came out in batches). After not seeing my bag, I checked the oversized luggage areas (and every other baggage carousel) to no avail. We went through customs to the LOT baggage services desk. We were the first there (although about 10 lined up after us too). After providing our information, the agent took our original claim ticket (I took a photo of it first) and provided us with a claim number, receipt, and the phone number for the baggage services desk. I made it clear and the agent stated it was standard policy that I should be called before my bag was to be delivered as I may be at work instead of home. We were told that we would definitely, absolutely be called when our bag was found and not to worry.

The next day I called to learn that they didn’t find my bag in Chicago and thought my bag was still in Warsaw and would be on the next flight to Chicago. Hearing nothing more, the following morning (Thursday, September 11th), I called again and was told the same thing (that my bag might be on that day’s flight). I repeatedly checked the tracing websites ( http://www.lot.com/pl/en/problems-with-baggage & http://www.worldtracer.aero/filedsp/lo.htm ), which I found – the baggage services agent did not inform me of them. I happened to be home that morning (Thursday, September 11th) and a few hours after I called, our doorbell unexpectedly rang. My bag was being delivered (about 36 hours after landing)! We never received a phone call (and it was unusual that anyone would have been home) and the tracing website never indicated (even after delivery) anything other than that our bag was being searched for. It was a strange, but happy ending.

Overall, I would definitely fly the same plane again during a daytime flight, but, would prefer it for an overnight flight (given how comfortable and large the fully-flat seat was).

Photo Below: Airplane at the Gate – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Gate Waiting Area – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Gate Desk – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Plane at Gate – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Plane at Gate – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Gate Seating Area – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Jetway – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seats – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Cabin during Boarding – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Footrest – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seat – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Legroom – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Amenity Kit – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Amenity Kit Contents – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class IFE Control – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Headphones – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Sign of Cabin Wear (Tape) – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seat Controls – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Footwell – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Window Dimmer – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seat Fully-Flat – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Pre-Departure Beverage and Snack – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Tray Table – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Video Screen – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Cabin – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Menu – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Drink Menu – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Wine Menu – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Wine & Mead Menu – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Spirits, Beers, and Soft Drinks Menu – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Coffee and Tea Menu – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Cabin – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Powerport at Seat – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Soft Drink and Mixed Nuts – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Dinner Appetizer – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Shrimp Dinner – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Pork Dinner – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Dinner Cheese Selection – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Dinner: Lemon Mousse Dessert – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Post-Dinner Vodka Round 1 – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Windows – One Dimmed; the Other Not – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Map In-Flight – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Map In-Flight – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: View of Greenland from Above – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: View of Greenland from Above – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Pre-Landing Supper – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Photo Below: Baggage Claim in ORD – WAW-ORD Boeing 788 LO 03 Flight

Last edited by FindAWay; Nov 21, 2014 at 8:31 am