FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Austria, Switzerland & Warsaw - Flying in J (OS, LX & LO 787) Riding Trains & Hiking!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:56 pm
FindAWay

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Austrian Airlines Boeing 767-300ER Business Class from ORD to VIE

Austrian Airlines Boeing 767-300ER Business Class from ORD to VIE

Map Below: Austrian Airlines Business Class from ORD to VIE

FLIGHT: ORD-VIE
DATE: Friday August 29, 2014
CARRIER: Austrian Airways (Operated by Tyrolean Airways Tiroler Luftfahrt GMBH) (OS)
FLIGHT NUMBER: 66
AIRCRAFT:Boeing 767-300ER (Wiener Sängerknaben (OE-LAE))
CABIN: International Business Class (two class aircraft)
SEATS: 4K, 5K
DEPARTURE GATE: M21
DEPARTURE - SCHEDULED: 4:05pm // ACTUAL: 4:43pm
ARRIVAL - SCHEDULED: 8:40am(+1) // ACTUAL: 8:29am(+1)
DURATION: 8 hours 46 minutes
MILES FLOWN: 4,707 miles

We left the Swiss Lounge a bit before our scheduled departure to see the plane and gate area. Gate M21 was the very last gate on the end; but, it did afford a decent amount of seating nearby. The gate area was outdated but reasonably sized. We sat for about 20 minutes before boarding commenced (a bit late).

Boarding was open to passengers requiring extra time first and, then, business class passengers were invited to board. A crowd had gathered near the boarding door while the scheduled boarding time came and went; so, we had to make our way through the crowd and wound up being some of the last business class passengers to board.

We located our seats and each found an amenity kit, headphones, dinner menu, pillow and blanket waiting. The breakfast menus were distributed shortly after we sat down and the on-board chef stopped-by to take our orders before departure.

Once I had settled into my seat, I began to acquaint myself with the controls, features, and in-flight entertainment system. The seat controls are touch-screen. The IFE had a decent selection of very recent movies and television programs. There was a bassinet in the first row of business class that was used; but, luckily, the child didn’t cry much during the overnight flight. There was not very much storage at the seat itself. After we pushed back, there was a fairly long taxi line for takeoff.

I’m torn about how much I like the seat – I like it; but, I just can’t rate it as highly as some other business class seats I’ve flown. I think for a daytime flight (i.e., the reverse of what we did – like, VIE-ORD), I’d probably rank it very highly. However, I had difficulty getting comfortable when trying to sleep. And, I was unable to sleep very much or consistently. My problems sleeping stemmed primarily from 2 factors: (1) the pillow provided was very thin and (2) air moved around the air-cushion of the seat during the flight (this may be related to the massage function), which kept waking me up. Frankly, if the seat was filled with regular padding and didn’t have an air-cushion, I think it would have been softer and I would have really enjoyed the flight and slept much better. The seat is also a bit narrow; but, not much more than other similar business class seats I’ve flow (like EVA, Thai, etc.). The blanket was actually very good – soft and warm, but not hot.

I found the food okay. [Edited to add: Mrs. FindAWay reminded me that meal service took exceedingly long on this flight. In fact, Mrs. FindAWay skipped dessert in order to try and get more sleep. ] It was not bad, but, it certainly was not some of the most tasty food I’ve had on-board international business class flights. I know many love the coffee on Austrian; however, I don’t drink coffee, so, I have no opinion. Overall, I would definitely fly the same plane again during a daytime flight, but, would pause at another overnight flight.

Photo Below: O’Hare Gate M21 – Waiting for Our ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Airplane at Gate M21 – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Austrian Scale (I Did Not See It Used) at O’Hare Gate M21 – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: O’Hare Gate M21 – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Cabin Interior –ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seat – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seat Controls, Light & Power Port – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seat IFE Screen – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seat Controls – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seat Controls – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seat Knee Space – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Cabin – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Cabin – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class IFE Controls – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seat Power Port – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Headphones, Pillow & Blanket – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Seat Table – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Amenity Kit – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Amenity Kit – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Breakfast Menu – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Menu – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Drink Menu – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class White Wine Menu – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Red Wine Menu – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Dessert Wine – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight

Photo Below: Business Class Drinks – ORD-VIE 767-300ER OS 66 Flight