FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2015 MileagePlus Change-No more inherited benefits from higher status accounts
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:52 pm
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by harryhood
So here's something I don't understand about this -- if I book a trip for myself, my wife and 2 kids on my miles (like we did recently for a trip to Hawaii), they do not get E+? Or free checked bags? or does this only apply to passengers not travelling with the miles sponsor?
Companions continue to get the benefits that come with your status. The new rule applies when you gift a ticket to someone with whom you're not traveling. From the website:
As of April 15, 2015, when traveling on an award ticket for United- and United Express®-operated flights, benefits including but not limited to complimentary Economy Plus seating, Premier priority travel services (such as Premier Access check-in and priority boarding), and checked baggage service charge waivers are determined by the traveler's own Premier status, even if another member's miles were used to purchase the award ticket. Customers traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member may receive the applicable companion benefits. Please visit the pages relating to specific Premier benefits for more information.