FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - InFlight catering for vegetarians
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:44 am
mia77

Programs: british airways, delta, virgin
Originally Posted by emma69
The vegan bread rolls you get on flights are different which I have never quite understood. I suspect their special meals cover off more than one 'special meal request' so the salad instead of sandwich might also be suitable for gluten free, vegan, low salt, low fat, etc.

They may actually come from a completely different catering facility (e.g. if the pastry was also Kosher, it would have to have been made somewhere different from where the main inflight meals are made).

Having a completely different item also means they probably won't make a mistake (e.g. if they had a cheese croissant and a ham and cheese, and the ham was folded up, they might misidentify it).

They also load food pretty tightly (they tend not to have 'leftovers' unless people decline a meal, so if they load 150 croissants for 150 passengers, no need for back ups).

There are also times when the snack offering is veggie (but not vegan, salt free, etc etc) like pizza slices, I read the box and even the cheese was veggie, so I asked if I could have one if there was a spare rather than my sad grilled veggie wrap with no flavor!
Well the odd pastry offering was veggie - but with the eggs, flour and milk in the ingredients list - it was defo not a vegan or GF option...might email BA and ask why... But the salad offered today versus the bacon sandwhich, would have catered for vegans and GF so understand that...(and 5 of the 11 people seated around me asked for the veggie option, so that's actually a high rate...

I hate it when I order a lacto veggie meal and I get a flavourless vegan rice dish when the airline offers something like fish, beef and a veggie pasta option choices for the 'meat eaters'.

I'm going long haul in two weeks, so will see what the BA pre ordering menu comes up with...