FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:16 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by weave
I've used my DC card contactless at Walgreens and Home Depot so far. Honestly, far easier than using Google Wallet (which I've done before) and I assume Apple Pay.

My friend in UK says they do contactless for just about everything under £20 now.

How does this work for larger purchases though. If you do contactless for over $50 (or £20 in their case) are you prompted to insert card instead so PIN can be entered?

Guess that will be my next thing to play with. A lot easier to spend over $50 at Home Depot than Walgreens!
I've actually tried over $50 at Walgreens with the DC card before and they just make you sign for the purchase. I haven't found a place with both contactless and EMV enabled yet but according to cardpeek it won't matter; the contactless on the card isn't EMV contactless so PIN won't be asked for at all in this mode. (Still a chance that it'll make you insert overseas instead though.)