FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Dollar Travelers cheques in Malaysia
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:26 am
DirtyDan

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
reading through the advice here and I realize that no one is actually answering the OP's question about CDN$ traveler's cheques... I can't help you either because I haven't used a traveler cheque since my parent's sent me alone as a teenager back in 198x...

Now, when I'm travelling abroad I use my CDN bank card at any PLUS / VISA debit ATM and just take out my daily maximum (usually $1000 equivalent for most CDN Banks). I would recommend what the other posters here have: 1) order some of the currency through your CDN bank and take it with you 2) use local ATMs for the rest 3) Take USD currency for trade if you must - nobody knows what a Canadian dollar is outside of Canada (I've had strange looks in Montana for crying out loud).

edit: I'm thinking I remember a sign at the money changer in Myanmar last month that actually stated they DO NOT take traveler's cheques. You might have to cash them at a Malaysian hotel and lose another 10-15%... Seriously, reconsider this idea.

I certainly understand your hesitation to carry that much money (that some of the others here may not share), especially with the news stories about US sheriffs / IRS confiscating "large" sums of cash based upon their whims. And who knows what those foreign border guards would do if they ever saw your money?

Last edited by DirtyDan; Nov 17, 2014 at 1:33 am