FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why does EK not allow advance emergency row seat reservations for Golds/Plats?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:36 pm
CalFlyer

Why does EK not allow advance emergency row seat reservations for Golds/Plats?

This has been bothering me for a while. Why does EK not allow advance seat reservations of emergency row seats for Golds/Plats? It would not cost them anything to do so, and it would actually increase safety on board - assuming that frequent travellers would do a better job in an emergency situation than the average layman traveller (many of the travellers seated in those emergency row seats actually look like they are the typical rare flyer). So, last night I was cramped into an economy window seat in the middle of a fully booked cabin - only because nobody at EK can pre-assign the emergency row seats to frequent travellers. I am of course not willing to come to the airport three hours before the flight only to secure an emergency row seat.

Lufthansa has no problem opening emergency row seats for elite travellers during reservations. At Nas Air, any traveller can choose an emergency row seat during online reservations, as I noticed this morning. You just have to check a box stating that you are physically fit and willing to support the crew in case of an emergency. If not, the airline can reseat you at check-in. Fair enough.