FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - YYZ-AKL PE seats
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:32 pm
ajnz

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by mad_atta
I understand people not necessarily preferring the SpaceSeat to a good conventional PE seat (I think I'm probably in that camp) but I don't understand you finding it harder to sleep than in a poor Y product like US's. There's more room all round and there's more recline (though god knows not as much as one would wish).

I'm really not good at sleeping in Y seats, but I slept pretty well in the SpaceSeat (though I did have to wriggle around a fair bit and switch positions) - admittedly with the help of booze and Xanax.

What is it about the SpaceSeat that you find so utterly non-conducive to sleep?
I don't understand it either. I find the SpaceSeat relatively great for working in (although not being square to the table is irritating) and I like the peace and sense of space in the cabin - it's definitely not crowded.

But to sleep? It's the position of the seat, total lack of recline, and for me, no where to comfortably put my legs - the little bean bag does nothing for me; and this is compounded by the rest of the seat - the seat base, angle, positioning, everything. It just doesn't work for me - it's like trying to sleep in my desk chair in the office.

I think I slept about the same amount in 77W LAX-AKL sectors in U and in Y - and I rate the 77W Y experience the single worst trans-pac flight I've ever taken.