FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - San Francisco Short Stay - Campton Place, Ritz Carlton, Mandarin Oriental, Fairmont
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:31 am
LM225

Thanks for posting this! I haven't stayed at the RC, but agree that MO is the best of this bunch.

Originally Posted by deathscar
Taj Campton Place - deluxe king

Negatives:
Room layout, design, decor and upkeep are very dated and due a refurbish (very urgently, in fact)
This applies to most of the rest of the hotel as well, with the hotel (not the rooms) feeling rather 'cramped' rather than spacious.

I also hear there are plans to refurbish the hotel, and they expect it to be done early 2015.
I've also gotten more disappointed in this place over the years (though my last stay was over a year ago). Agree that it needs a serious refurb, but given that they're "planning" it now and expect it to be done in "early 2015," I think they're either delusional/dishonest re: timeline, or the refurb isn't going to be enough of an overhaul to bring it up to par with the best in the city.

Fairmont - Fairmont room
Negatives:
Service - let me preface this by saying that on the whole, the service was very good 90% of the time. Very, very good in fact. However, comparing it to the Taj, MO and Ritz, it was one level below, more due to the mistakes made rather than anything they failed to do. On the 2nd night I was staying there, I arrived late with some baggage and went to the front desk to inquire regarding something. The staff at the front desk (who had checked me in the previous night) asked me if I wanted to check in! A forgiveable sin I suppose considering the Fairmont has close to 600 rooms and it must be hard to keep track of all the ins and outs just by face.
However, what was rather more galling was that housekeeping knocked on my door and tried to enter the room (before I screamed "I'M STILL IN HERE AND SLEEPING!") at 8AM on the day of check out. That's very disturbing. I much prefer the Aman way of never having to SEE housekeeping (and I never did at any of the other hotels, but then I also didn't spend THAT much time in them), but if I am going to see you, then you bloody well make sure it's not at 8AM. I raised this with the front office who gave me the rather lame excuse that they knock on doors of those who are checking out that day, and that I would most certainly not be disturbed if I put on the "do not disturb" sign. While that sounds worse in writing (it was neither made as an 'excuse' or as a rude suggestion), I would still much prefer not to see housekeeping and them not having to knock on my door at 8AM.
I don't think the Aman comparison/standard is a fair one here

In a 600 room hotel (and really, you should do this in smaller hotels too), I think it's fair to expect the guest to put the DND sign up if they don't want to be bothered. Not excusing the 8AM wakeup -- that's too early for housekeeping to knock -- but it certainly would help avoid the issue ever happening.

I do agree, though, that this hotel is a level below the others, and doesn't really justify (to me) the $500+ rates it often asks.

Unfortunately, due to extremely high occupancy (close to 100% on almost all nights I was there), I was unable to see any of the other room categories at all the hotels I stayed at and visited (including Intercontinental Mark Hopkins).
Curious to hear what you thought of the Mark Hopkins. When I lived in SF, the Top of the Mark was a great place to take visitors for a drink with a view, but the property itself has felt worn at the seams for some time.

Did you get a chance to check out the St. Regis at all?

Thanks again for sharing!