FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Amanresorts, GHM & Ahn Luh Development (2014 Edition)
Old Nov 15, 2014, 8:18 am
chinmoylad
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Richey66
A bit OT, but can someone explain to me, what is so special about Aman, that they are able to charge exorbitant prices, even compared to Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton resorts, etc ? What do they offer, that other uber-luxury hotels do not?
I don't travel half as much as some of the members on here, and neither do I have half the money (presumably!). I'd gladly pay for a few nights at Aman and take the dent in my wallet/bank account than stay anywhere else in that destination.

Almost all Amans are very unique, whether in decor, location or the cultural experience it provides. What REALLY distinguishes the Amans from everything else - as many have noted - is that it feels like you're a guest at a very wealthy friend's home, rather than just another hotel client. And that is as much to do with the beautiful, understated manner of the design, almost always incorporating heavy elements of local (luxurious) decor, to its fine, fine service.

Aman will never compete solely on its rooms (its villas are a different matter). And yet, when I'm staying at an Aman, I don't care how 'dated' the room is, nor how it lacks amenities comparable to other hotels. You just sit there (either in your beautiful courtyard or by one of the iconic pools) and let time while away.