FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Emirates a financial scam?
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:48 pm
eternaltransit

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
There is, of course, potentially another consideration involved in EK sending its A380s to IAH, and that is the much-discussed "bling" factor that might play very, very well in IAH for high-yield J/F passengers. EK's chauffeured cars to/from the airport, and good food/drink at its airport lounges can be offered for any of its aircraft, but it's only the A380 that offers F passengers the showers, massive loos, and outstanding private suites (ime with no through foot traffic of any kind) and the spacious, well-stocked bars in J. Add to that the outstanding inflight service from FAs who are half, or a third, the age of their counterparts on legacy airlines, and arguably the best IFE of any airline currently, and the bling-loving Texan will never look back.

JFK is of course another "bling" loving market, and I predict that EK could completely dominate the northern Italian, southern Swiss J/F passenger market if only they could place an A380 on the JFK - MXP route.

btw, I've received two very interesting emails in the past few days re tie-ins between Emirates and SPG, and Emirates and Virgin America. The OP's concern re Emirates not belonging to one of the three major Alliances may be somewhat valid, but I'm not at all sure that it isn't being addressed.
If you can fill up your planes with a 79% load factor without being in an alliance, and you have ambitions to service all continents and take advantage of as many fifth freedom rights as you can (JFK-MXP / BKK-HKG / SYD-AKL etc. etc.) I wouldn't join an alliance and I think that is Tim Clark's thinking as well. It's only added unnecessary costs and locks you into a system that's unnecessarily restrictive: your fellow alliance partners would look unfavourably on your encroachment in all their "backyards"! I think it's telling that EKs aviation partners are Easyjet, JetBlue and Alaska to name major ones - carriers that don't compete in the same segment/with the same business model as EK. Their deal with QF is an exception that I think works out very well for EK whilst allowing QF to focus on its domestic operations.