FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileagePlus Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) Requirement Discussion Thread
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:08 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rcg2770
Is it really legal/fair to advertise a price that does not show exactly how much PQD will be earned before purchase? My last two flights on United had this problem - what I was shown on-line as being the base price when purchasing, turned out to be between $25-$43 less when processed (due to the federal tax). I called United to ask what happened and they acknowledged it is a system-wide computer glitch that they plan to fix soon. I am thinking it has been like this for the whole year (reading over other conversations it seems that is the case). My recommendation is that United scrap the PQD requirements for 2014 since their computer system was not accurately reflecting the federal tax costs, which confused customers. If United doesn't do this, would this constitute a possible class action lawsuit due to deceptive advertising? If United knows the PQD for each purchase is not posting correctly, do they have a plan to fix it for customers who are trying now to meet the thresholds put in place by the airline?
The price advertised is for the flight. That is what you are buying. After you take the flight, UA awards the PDQs you've earned. These are the same PQDs that UA discusses in their Mileage Plus program. UA clearly states what part of the ticket price earn PQDs. The info you need to verify the PQDs vs what UA says they'll give you is on your receipt. Here's info on PQDs:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../PQD-FAQs.aspx

There is no "glitch". The system, including the PQDs you're getting, is working like United said it would.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 9, 2014 at 9:23 pm