FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LUV voucher
Thread: LUV voucher
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2014, 6:28 pm
pshuang

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Next year I might be in a similar situation as the OP since I have had remarkable luck with my circumstances allowing me to volunteer multiple times in the last 6 months when Southwest has needed a volunteer to be voluntarily denied boarding.

I've also had to revive expired ticketless travel funds multiple times this year.

Phone agents have been pretty consistent with telling me that the known restriction when reviving expired ticketless travel funds is that the ticketless travel funds must not have previously been expired ticketless travel funds that had already been revived, and that they would have to research the history of the ticketless travel funds in order to verify that before they can re-issue the amount minus a $100 fee in the form of a new LUV voucher with a 6 month expiration date.

DonnaH, you have not indicated where your LUV vouchers came from. If they are from a previous revival of expired ticketless travel funds, then you may be out of luck as far as doing the same thing a second time and probably should look into some of the other suggestions that have been made here.

If the LUV vouchers came from volunteering (similar to my situation), I think that'd be OK to be revived. I.e., my suggestion in that case would be to use the LUV vouchers to buy a single round trip ticket that is as close to the total of your LUV vouchers as possible (possibly even slightly exceeding the total, which means you'd be putting in the difference as new money at risk), then cancel the ticket, being sure to keep the cancellation email message, then wait until the ticketless travel funds have expired, and call Southwest Customer Support to request that as a courtesy could they re-issue the expired ticketless travel fund as a new LUV voucher minus a service fee. You would be taking a risk, but I think it is a small risk.

Note that the reason you want to combine all of your existing LUV vouchers into a single ticket is that the service fee is charged per ticketless travel fund. You want to only have a single canceled ticket with ticketless travel funds representing the combined value of all of your LUV vouchers so that you only pay one $100 service fee instead of multiple such fees.

Last edited by pshuang; Nov 9, 2014 at 6:30 pm Reason: Added paragraph about $100 service fee is per ticket.