FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - old sauterne and barsac
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2014, 2:37 pm
oenophilist
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I couldn't disagree more strongly. Sauternes (at least at the Grand Cru level) needs to be aged. I'm currently enjoying a case of halves of 1989 Coutet which is absolutely at its peak and I have the odd bottle left of Rieussec 1976 which is absolutely fabulous, completely unctuous with the most amazing palette of flavours.

I'm not so sure about pairing with cheese - perhaps a very mild Roquefort but nothing else. I would go with Creme Brulee myself. And certainly pate de foie gras, but not foie gras poelee.
+1000

Sauternes are among the most age-worthy wines in existence. Unlike red wines, they are very sturdy in adverse storage conditions, and they achieve complexities with age that you can only dream of. We had a 1990 Filhot this weekend that was out of this world, but was incredibly young for the wine. I've also had Sauternes from the 1920's that were outstanding.

As for pairings, yes, some people like Foie Gras, but others believe that the fat of the Foie Gras is not a good match for the fat of the Sauternes.

If you want to get serious about the different ways that you can pair Sauternes, I highly recommend the book "Sweet Wines" that includes some great recipes and pairing ideas.