FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG Platinum status: worthless.
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2014, 3:06 am
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Platinum is far from worthless even if limited upgrades because one stays at HIEs where in the newer builds all rooms are identical other than being Queen or Twin Bedded. 50% bonus on points is not to sneezed at compared to hardly wortywhile gold elite percentage.
Occasional pointsbreak that fit ones plans are a stonking benefit too.

Regards upgrades in my last 300 IHG (non IC stays) over last 4 years in a)UK b)Western Europe c)other Europe d)Asia (I have no USA nights)..... I have been upgraded 100% (outside of HIE's ) all but 2x, and that includes award night upgrades, and reduced rate night upgrades such as 241's, low fixed rates like last Xmas period £30 per HI upto £125 per IC etc.

Maybe my upgrade sucess is due to always being earned platinum status , and hotels see my nights stay counts, or that Europe/Asia hotel attitude and respect of eites and being happy to provide room upgrades i do not know. I know from other similar threads raised a few times per year, I am not the only IHG Platinum with a great upgrade record.

I really struggle to believe it, when Platinum IHGers say they have never been upgraded in 10's of stays.

Of my two non-upgrades one was late HI booking/arrival , it was fully booked, checkin apologised and gifted me breakfast instead, the other was award night in a full hotel and I was not an early(ontime) checkin

In Europe without free USA Platinum numbers messing the ratio of numbers of platinum elites per night at most hotels, my Platinum upgrade recognition has been 100%.

If I was in USA where a dearth of CC Platinums from free CC's boosts percentage of IHG Platinums staying each night in the hotels, I would have to lower my upgrade expectations.

I believe if any polarisation of Platinum upgrades exists, it will be USA v Rest of The World !...........................

In USA I would try to avoid the "space available upgrade" getout clause chains, thats IHG + Hilton for me, though I would only visit major cities & stay at IC's for my guaranteed Ambassador status upgrades.
If no local IC, then I would use FT and similar sites to research upgrades before booking any IHG/Hilton hotel.