FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T Mobile Global data coverage
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2014, 5:18 pm
milepig
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pricesquire
First time using TM abroad - VERY favorable experience. If it works 1/2 as good elsewhere I'll be ecstatic.

Landed at CDG, powered up the phone, BAM - instant service.

Good service too! From what I could tell - 3G (I'm aware sometimes it shows 3G, but it's actually running at 2G).

Only weird thing was...it was running on Orange, and then another network I've never heard of (Started with an S, and it was three characters - don't remember). Service was great, then started to get spotty.

Because I knew about this thread/FT, I knew TM worked with Bouygues, not Orange (why'd it pick up with Orange in the first place then?). So, I turned off "Automatically Connect" and then started to use Bouygues.

Fantastic on Bouygues. Both in Paris and Bordeaux.

Always showing 3G. Now, whether it's actually running at 3G, can't tell.

The bad part is I'm now on a river cruise - I could literally jump onto shore (the boat is still tied to the dock) - and zip service. I'm sure I'm not the only w/ this issue, and I'm sure it's not a TM issue either.

So far so good!! Here's to hoping it works as well in Chiang Mai and Egypt.
Cruise ships will force you onto their network. Tmob has warnings about this. Simple choice rates don't apply. Best option seems to be to force onto a local provider.