FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AF to discontinue Premium Economy on medium haul flights + other "improvements"
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:17 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by stimpy
If I bought your argument, I would have to close my eyes and pretend that these premium cabins were empty.
If I can be allowed a cheeky rephrasing, I would say that you have to open your eyes and admit that these premium economy cabins are empty! Two rows is NOT what AF is looking for, nor what it was managing a few years ago! It is miserable.

Bear in mind that those 12 people include: (1) all connecting PE passengers (who used not to sit there until a few years ago), (2) all passengers on fully flex fare who need full flexibility anyway (for instance, if you want a one way ticket which is not MiNi, it automatically offers you A,S,W only) and will continue to want it, and (3) then the "leftover", the people whom you are mentioning, who do not necessarily need the full flexibility and willy only choose AF PE because of the 200% miles on FB (but again, they get nearly the same bonus with LH anyway, full fare Y would get you 1500 miles on FB and 1250 on LH, except that on the latter, elite bonus miles coming in addition will also count towards status renewal) and the better food and drink. I think that the very loads you are mentioning to us point out to a complete failure of the system. You keep referring to it as "full" but it only shows that RM is doing a good job ensuring that PE numbers are on the (lower end of) table of 6s!

And I'm still not sure what you are referring to in terms of self-booking tools. You must have something completely different in mind from what we are using in the different companies I have worked for which requires neither a travel person nor IT work, nor anything of the kind. All it requires is the use of a specified travel agent, which again, the vast majority of companies use to my knowledge. In fact, in case anyone is not aware, even AF-KL is happy to offer this exact same service with the exact same self-booking tool for any small company enrolled in BlueBiz which does not already have a corporate TA!