FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AF to discontinue Premium Economy on medium haul flights + other "improvements"
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:03 am
stimpy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by brunos
I do understand that you have an experience that spreads over many years. But things have changed in the recent past and cost controls have spread like a bad virus.

Admittedly France is very slow to adapt to change and to internet tools. Nevertheless, many medium-sized French companies with a corporate contract with AF ask employees to use a self-booking tool if they book AF. Otherwise (other airlines), they have to go through the company's official TA who does the control or report to the company's travel official. You quickly get flagged if you don't adhere to travel policy.

I am also a bit surprised that you seem to imply that it is common practice that the employee pays for a ticket himself and then get reimbursed upon the presentation of air ticket receipts. And your employers must be very lax if you simply have to pre-warn them that you travel LH business. In most companies, either the policy allows you to ravel LH J or not, with exceptions being made on a case by case basis but always having to be pre-authorized.
It's not at all lax as all expenses are scrutinized. Companies do not install new IT systems, or engage the services of travel "staff" unless they really need it. Even if it is all outsourced. I work in tech and tech companies all start out small and try to get big. In order to get big, they have to have staff that travel. Let's say there are two types of traveling employees. One type engages in a non-rev function, and the other engages in functions that bring in revenue or otherwise directly enhance the value of the company. Travel policies at mid-sized companies exist for the first group, and not the second.

I've had plenty of experiences in the past at multiple mid and smaller corporations where the cost control people were angry with my monthly expenses, but the CEO told them to go cry in the corner because the value I was bringing in vastly outweighed my travel expenses. The reason I am sure that I'm not the only one is because the biz and PE cabins are full on a great many routes I take. One routes where they are not doing well, airlines are cutting back. Maybe a tiny percentage of these people are op-ups, but that just doesn't happen often on Euro airlines.

If I bought your argument, I would have to close my eyes and pretend that these premium cabins were empty. I often talk to the person sitting next to me and they are usually people who bring in revenue or are high enough up on the corporate ladder where there exists a different travel policy.