FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Day trips from Portland, ME in the winter?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:36 pm
PWMTrav

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Drive north towards Brunswick and then down towards Harpswell, Orr Island and Bailey Island (connected by bridge so no ferry needed). It is a very scenic drive. Cook’s Lobster House, Baileys Island, www.cookslobster.com, has both good lobster, and a spectacular view.

I was going to suggest Longfellow House and the last remaining Shaker Community but see both are closed in the winter.

Oyster Bar – 5 Portland Pier, Maine, jsoyster.com – lobster, oysters, clams, oyster stew is wonderful – tiny, only about 4 tables inside; Anthony Bourdain filmed here

Standard Baking Co., 75 Commercial St, Portland, 207-773-2112, immediately adjacent to Hilton Garden Inn. Great cookies, gingerbread.
J's Oyster is fun for beers and some oysters, but if you want IMHO the best oyster bar in the country right now, Eventide - next door to Hugo's - is a must do. Same owners. Better food and one of the better bars in town too. These guys are seriously killing it next door. If I had to pick one, I'd go to Eventide, even though J's is an institution.

Definitely Standard Baking. But also Two Fat Cats, the cross streets are India and Middle (might be 1 block up from Middle, I forget). I'm not a huge fan of whoopie pies, but the experts (my wife) tell me they're the best.