FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Issues using UA Gift Certificates - [discontinued]
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:40 pm
rrohio

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,
They reissue after first use with new #

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Anyone know how to resolve issues trying to redeem a gift cert online? I have a relatively large gift cert and after the 1st use, it won't go through online. Usually 1-2 calls to web support and they get it pushed through. Trying to book a ticket for next Thursday with the gift cert, I held it online.

Call 1 to Web Support to ticket it:
Agent: "Gift certs are only valid on United operated flights. Select only United flights and it will work."
Me: "They are only United Operated flights."
Agent: "Oh, you probably selected elite seats or exit rows, you must only select the economy seats."
After back and forth, I did this and it still didn't work. I had to give her the value and gift cert info 4x before she got it.
Agent: "Our gift certificate processing is down. You need to just keep trying until it's back."
Me: "I booked the ticket yesterday and tried a few times online, without success since then."
Agent: "Keep trying. Your ticket expires tonight at midnight local time, so get it in before then."

HUCA

Agent: "This is a gift certificate; these must be run through our Group Reservations desk. I'll transfer you there."
Me: "It's only a reservation for 1 person. Why would it need to go through Group Reservations?"
Agent: "That's how our system is set-up. Please stay on the line while I transfer you."
At 10PM on a Friday, the Group Reservations was closed.

HUCA

Agent: "It won't work online because we still are trying to resolve issues with the merger. IT has been notified of this many times, but they won't do anything about it."

She "pushed it to ticketing" and extended the hold for an extra 24 hours.

I called today (20 hours later, as the ticket expires in 5.5 hours). Agent said that it takes "7-10 days to process by the e-ticketing desk". He extended the ticketing until 11/6, the day of the flight.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?
From my experience they reissue the cert after each use with a new cert # and the new balance on it