FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T Mobile Global data coverage
View Single Post
Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:40 pm
Steve M

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm nt sure where you've used it but I've foud it perfectly usable for everything I need while traveling. This includes use of applications like Google maps for navigation. The price is right, too!
I agree on all counts. Except for my no data experience in Qatar, it's worked more or less problem free everywhere else I've been. I've found it plenty fast enough for all of the typical things I do, other than downloading or streaming media files. That is: web browsing, app usage, email, Skype (voice), and Google maps.

The one thing I do run into problems with is downloading new apps. That takes way too long in most cases. Fortunately, it's rare that I need to do so while traveling internationally, but occasionally I stumble into a situation where a new app comes to my attention that's useful in the moment. Other than that, the free 128kbps data is just fine.

It is almost always easier to just buy a SIM card there.
How could buying a local SIM be "easier" than doing nothing other than turning on your phone and have it work in a new country before your airplane even gets to the gate?