FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:18 am
drewguy

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 1flux
I'm 1K currently living in Europe and travel to SFO at least once per quarter in discount business (P or Z), which means I can never use GPU's for myself. Instead I've gifted them to 4 friends/family and have 2 still available. I was planning on having 3 RT FRA-SFO flights the last 2 months of this year (which would get me to 101K PQM), but one of them has now been cancelled. Unfortunately this means I'll end up just short of 90K PQM leaving me at Platinum for next year.

In 2015, I'll be based near SFO again and will no longer fly for business purposes except for maybe one flight to NRT (biz P/Z). Instead, I'll likely just be burning miles for personal travel/vacation on a couple biz (hopefully) TATL award flights in the year plus 1 or 2 domestic award flights per quarter.

This is a no brainer that I shouldn't worry and just be happy with Platinum, right? Or am I missing something?
Seems to me yes - the GPUs aren't worth anything to you in this scenario. Even the increased chance of CPUs seem meaningless. And as Plat you still get free award changes, etc., and the same luggage and E+ benefits.