FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Small scissors confiscated in PVG
View Single Post
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:16 pm
travelinmanS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lipoff
I just went through the international security at PVG yesterday and my very small pair of nail scissors (blades much smaller than 4 inches) were confiscated by the Chinese luggage inspection after my bag was subjected to secondary screening after going through the x-ray machine. I speak near-fluent Mandarin and was unable to argue for their safe passage, even though I have flown with them inside and out of China many times before. I'm not sure if this is a new Chinese policy or just a one-off, but I thought I'd mention it here.
If you speak near-fluent Mandarin presumably you've been in China long enough to know that arguing with the security people is a pointless exercise. You also should know that all rules are subject to "interpretation" in China by whatever official you happen to be dealing with. I don't know what the rules are for scissors in China since I don't carry them with me, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are completely banned and they just weren't noticed on your previous trips.